9/1/09

Disney buying Marvel

Disney just bought the Marvel universe. I honestly didnt see that coming.

Personally Im not against Disney -what can I say, I was born in the eighties, disney is woven into my childhood soul. And if you know much about me, you know Ill never grow up.

You'd also know Im a big fan of comics. Granted I havent been collecting in the last few years, but I I have a pretty extensive colelction of books, mostly DC and Vertigo but also some Marvel. 

Personally I dont think that Marvel will suffer much from the change, at least I try to be optimistic. But one thing that struck me is that currently both Spideman, Hulk and Wolverine is located in the Universal Studios Island of Adventures, on the Marvel Super Hero Island. Universal and Disney is the two largest compeditors on Orlando soil, I assume, so will Disney muslce their way to remove the Superhero Island from Universal, and create their own?

In that case it'd be a damn shame. The hulk and the Spiderman ride are two of the best rides in the whole themepark, and in Orlando. I suppose they would have just changed name on it (and changed the 3D stuff on spiderman) and kept the ride, but still. 

I first visited Island of Adventure in summer of 2000, and then again in March 2008. Next time, maybe it'll be in Disneyworld?

Scene from the Superhero Island:

The Hulk Ride:

No comments: