1/14/11

I noticed you noticing me,

I bet we've all had those days where we feel like the world is staring at you. You feel ready to break out the tinfoil hat, creep under the table and wait for the day to pass. For no reason.

Yesterday was such a day.

Now, usually I am a pretty patient person. I'm observant, I like to keep track of people around me. I notice things and I like noticing things, details. I like to feel the pulse of the surrounding. So if I catch someone looking at me a little, I'll brush it off and consider them to be doing the exact same thing as I am. Observing, with no ill intent.

But usually when I catch several people at a short duration of time starting at me; I get nervous. Are they seeing something I am not? Is there something wrong with me?

On the way home to a woman was staring so intensly on me after having experienced so many glances earlier, that I was nearly convinced I had a axe stuck in my head and it must have hit some part of my brain which made me not notice, and now I'm bleeding all over the place and dying and they're all staring at me.

Of course that wasn't so.

But upon pondering about it later I realized that this, while being utterly ridiculous, is a good analogy for communication.

No comments: