2/14/11

Cute games vs Sad state of Mind [Visuals]

Me choosing what game I want to play is, I admit, often very shallow. I want the graphics to give a certain feeling. Granted, I have played and enjoyed games as UO and AO, but generally I tend to not want to play anything that doesn't look nice, so Ill admit that visuals is very important to me.

After about 8 years as a gamer (advancing from Nintendo-kiddie, that is and not taking into consideration Backpacker and Flight Simulator...) and thinking back, I think I can safely say that the amount of cuteness I choose to go for in a game is relate able to how shit I feel in real life.
Usually when I'm down its because of my physical state. I try not to get affected but really, the longer the period of time where I'm in bad shape; the more bitter and down I get. I don't think I have to elaborate on that; its quite natural, no?

Simplified, my choices seem to follow this pattern:

Sad Panda: Cute games such as Rose, FlyFF, Bush Whacker.
Happy: Adventurous games, often RPG's, such as Fallout, BioShock, Borderlands.
Confident: Competitive games, Shooters and RTSs such as CoD , HoN, Demigod.

Heck, even CSI: Crime City can be labeled as Cute. Just look at this dead body:

CSI: Crime City

The cute games are often very periodical since when I snap out of it, I tend to get a sugary overdose just by looking at them. I'm never attracted to start playing these games when I'm up and generally happy. I'd even say I'm more bothered by them at that point.

I assume its not "just me" who's got it like this, because assuming a person is alone in doing anything is fucking stupid, but I wonder how many of those who choose the Cute Games (and who've passed age 15) over the more serious and challenging ones is doing it for the same reason - a quick Happy-fix far away from the reality of the harsh actual world.

BushWhacker

No comments: